Literally, minutes after I began posting my running notes from the keynote presentations and the first session I attended, I received a request to fill a last minute opening on the schedule and prepare a second session. I’m working on preparing a new version of “Visual Report Design – Bringing Sexy Back”. I will be presenting that session tomorrow. Just a quick level set that these presentations will use similar material and are both much less technical, focused on the concepts and best practices of visual design rather than coding and functional design. These two sessions are:
- Thursday, November 8 at 1:30 PM in room 606 – “Visual Report Design – Bringing Sexy Back”
- Friday, November 9 at 8:00 AM in room 613 – “Dashboard Design – Making Reports Pop”
Both of these sessions were based on similar material. Here is a link to the Prezi presentation I used in the session. The PowerPoint decks for both sessions are available to to PASS Summit attendees.
There is always more to cover in these short session than time allows and I would have liked to go a little deeper with the demos. So, I will be posting links to videos that demonstrate creating a dashboard report using report parts and some of the techniques I showcased in these sessions. Please check back and I will have them ready early next week, by November 14. Please check back then to see these demos and download sample code.
Demos will include:
- A reusable gauge panel published as a report part in SharePoint. This can also be done in native mode.Creating a business scorecard with KPI indicators & drill-down on levels
- A table containing sparklines and drill-through to detail within the same dashboard report
- Conditional color in a column or line chart
- Using a custom color palette in custom code