Please join me and other 2017 PASS Summit speakers for 24 Hours of PASS: Summit Preview on July 19th and 20th. 24HOP is a series of 60 minute on-line sessions presented back-to-back for 24 hours, from the same professionals who will deliver preconference and main conference sessions during the Summit the first week of November this year. These online sessions are free of charge and normally attended by thousands of individuals to gain insight and knowledge about the topics. 24 Hours of PASS features free educational webinars delivered over 24 hours. Topics covered in this edition include Performance Tuning, SQL Server 2017, Linux, DevOps, Azure, PowerShell, SSRS, Power BI and much more. Browse all sessions. These webinars provide a sneak peek at some of the best practices, expert tips and demos you’ll find at this year’s PASS Summit in Seattle.
My session this year is titled: Can’t We Just Get Along? Making SSRS, Power BI and Excel Play Well Together and begins at 7:00 PM Pacific Time. Make sure to double-check the 24HOP schedule to confirm when you register for this and any other sessions.
Choosing the right reporting tool can be a challenge but can different reporting tools be blended to create a unified solution? Learn the strengths and limits of each; for Self-service, IT-driven and Business-Driven BI, reporting and analytics. We’ll review an actual solution to see how these tools are being used together to meet the needs of users and technical professionals in different roles in a large organization.
In this 60 minute session, I will preview some of the material covered in the full-day preconference: Modern Reporting with SQL Server 2016 and 2017 Reporting Services full day pre-conference session on October 31st in Seattle.
I am thrilled to be presenting a full-day preconference session before the PASS Summit, on October 31st. Please join me for a deep tour of the new capabilities and BI platform integrations for SQL Server Reporting Services 2016 & 2017. The session will also review the essential skills and tasks to setup and configure the report server and web portal, report design and modern report solution planning.
Here’s an overview of the session:
The 2016 product release was a big upgrade that, once again, brought SSRS into center stage as a market-leading reporting and dashboard design tool for operational and BI reporting. The big news was that SSRS reports truly run in all modern web browsers and work on mobile devices and all desktops in a new modern web portal. The introduction of Mobile Reports, formerly known as Datazen, gives mobile device users interactive, tactile and actionable dashboard style reporting on all the popular mobile smartphones and tablets. The 2017 product brings even more goodness with the integration of Power BI Report Server, on-premises Power BI report integration in a cloud-free platform. Join Paul for a full-day pre-conference session where you will explore new capabilities and learn to integrate modern reporting into your data platform.
This session covers:
- What’s new in Reporting Services 2017 (and 2016)?
- Reporting Services and Power BI Report Server Architecture
- Parameter improvements
- Overview of report solution design general best practices
- Integrating and managing Power BI on-premises
- Integrating SSRS with the Power BI service
- Graphical report design
- Visualization choices
- Chart visual types and new visual options
- Indicators and sparklines
- Creating dashboard reports
- Advanced and analytic reporting
- Advanced design techniques
- Conditional visibility & drill-down
- Pagination & flow control
- Error management
- Drill-through navigation
- Query design beyond the basics
- Reporting with SQL Server and Analysis Services
- Using the DAX and MDX query editors
- Analytical and Business intelligence reporting
- Managing report projects and consolidating reports
- Upgrading from prior versions of SSRS
- Framing and integrating reports the easy way
- Introducing Mobile Reports
- Multi-device mobile reporting, business cases & scenarios
- Visual control categories & behavior
- Mobile reports and parameters
- Filtering an navigating mobile reports
- Building mobile report solutions
- Mobile drillthrough – targeting mobile reports and paginated reports
- Content management
- Managing the web portal
- SSRS and Power BI Report Server administration
- Custom branding
- Instance caching
- Server management and configuration
Register for the PASS Summit and preconference here. Also, look out for a sneak peek of this and many other sessions in the 24 Hours Of PASS which will run continuously through July 19th and 20th. Watch the PASS Learning Channel for announcements.