From the PASS Keynote Bloggers’ Table
Refresh this post for updates and follow #SQLPass on Twitter
On stage introducing the conference “That’s Community” – I agree
- “Connecting is a very important part of this week”. Build connections that will last a lifetime. Many events and sessions specifically for networking and connecting with other professionals.
- Best way to work with Microsoft and give feedback – Talk to the SQLCAT Team
- MVP Deep Dives – from 55 MVPs, most are here. Buy it at the summit and get it signed.
- Evaluations are very important. Paper in that back of each session room or onlight
Tools & Platform Sr. VP
Watch for announcements…..
- SQL Server is the most widely adopted db platform/product on the planet
- Transition to the cloud – new world of data
- Appliance: Added Dell as PDW provider
- Cloud is a combination of on premise & off-premise – “A Hybrid World”. Sync Service s a big part of this vision.
- Project Crescent is called POWER VIEW
- Product name: SQL Server 2012
- Product will ship in early 2012 – no surprises there.
Three-part vision going forward:
- Processing any data any size, anywhere…
Azure gets 20,000 Petabytes of data/month
Microsoft officially supporting Apache Hadoop. Will be making submission to the Hadoop project.
- Hadoop project (an open source framework that enables applications to work with thousands of nodes and petabytes of data)
- Partnering with HortonWorks
Denny Lee on stage
(Denny’s a one-of-a-kind personality – great guy) – runs the SQL CAT Team for large BI projects.
- New Hive ODBC driver – will be available for download in about a month
- Denny is demoing using PowerPivot with Hadoop as a data source. – very cool.
Tim Mallalieu on stage
- Data Explorer – code name of new product in Azure Marketplace
- Demo of Data Explorer to do data mashup with Excel and SQL Azure data – mashups are logical joins between disparate data sources using merging logic.
- Using large data feeds through Azure Marketplace,
- Data Explorer is from Azure Labs – coming soon, early next year.
- Introducing Crescent/PowerView (I smell a demo)
One thought on “PASS 2011 Summit Begin–Wed Keynote”